Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Death Punch

"YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW"is an idiom being stuck on my wall.Its been pasted exactly above the mirror in my room and every morning i wake up looking in to the mirror with this idiom highlighted above.I have studied this idiom during my school days and we all know what it means...It was a fine sunday morning so fresh and pleasant,adding more joy for the day.Completing all my house hold work helping my mom in her cooking,dad in washing his car,giving bath to my dog,i was slaushed and my body needed a small nap to rejenuvate the lost energy.Evening had come and i have decided to go for a ride on the east coastal road.The ride was fantastic on my bike acclerating at 50kmphr,on the empty roads.It was like a ride to heaven accompanied by cool breeze,birds chirpping,scenic spots,the smell of the fish oh my god!! i badly wanted a fish fry.. though am a brahmin (oops.. not to mention i do have non-veg occasionally).. adding more flavour to my trip was the corn soup i had on the way back which was sumptuous...It was 6.45pm and i was nearing the thiruvanmiyur junction...
My heart so light and entangled in a different world,i was riding my bike thinking about the past one and half hours of ultimate pleasure and i was completely immersed in it.To change my momentum came the sound of the conch followed by a band of trumpets,drums,flowers all over and a palaquine with a grandma in it.Their relatives were in despair,sobbing and were moving to the burial ground.The whole scene in front of my eyes is so dull filled with sadness.I parked my bike in the corner of that street and i was marching towards the palaquin.Wondering myself of what am doing,i was just walking front.After a split second i realised that i am doing all this is not because of the concern to the person who had passed away but for the beats!!.Awesome beats!!!.Locally it is called "PARA MOLAM"(DEATH PUNCH).Anyone who listens to that beat will dance and i who is so much interested in dance couldn't resist myself to the beats being played.I Unbuttoned my shirt wrapped it around my waist and i was in the lead with some local boys.It was the dawn of happiness that started reaching peaks as i was shaking my hips,swinging my arms,folding my tongue,pushing my chest back and forth,lifting my legs to the beats played and shouting in chorus with the boys("PODU!!PODU!!KUTHU!!KUTHU!!")and the beats continued in full swing gaining more pace and rhythm ("dan...darna..dan dan dan!!!")...One of the small boys shouted "HEY AMUKI KUTHU!!!HEY GUMANG KUTHU!!!"-(the punch lines that are said as the dancers dance before a dead body)...nevertheless to say it was seismic vibrations all over my body and i was just enjoying myself to the core..Finally we reached the burial ground and all the final proceedings were carried out.I was just going to the shop oppsite the burial ground to get some water.The gang who played the so called "DEATH PUNCH"gathered around me.They were all praising me for my dance and the co-ordination that i had with them.They were so happy and one among them said "ANNA SOKKA ADINA PO"(MEANING I DANCED REALLY WELL).After having water and tea with them i just looked at my watch it was 7:30.I had been dancing for almost an hour and i was late home by half an hour.I promised my mom that i would be back home by 7.30.I called her up and said i ll be back in another half an hour and had to lie her saying heavy traffic on roads so its taking time..She belived it half-mindedly and said ok come soon.I just took an auto to the place i had parked my bike and i zoomed..vroom.. way back home.Reaching home by 8 i had a small bit of motherly advice and having my dinner i was on my bed dead tired.
Before i sleep i look at the mirror everyday and as i was looking...the idiom "You reap what you sow"was shining in the light of my room.Seeing my face and the quote i fell on my bed switching off the tube light and turning on the night lamp.I was just recollecting of what had happened the whole day.The whole morning was homely,the ride wow!! it was fabulous and the dance was the ultimate moment of the whole day.My mind just jerked over there coming to a stop.All of a sudden the quote on my room"You reap what you sow"flashed.I was just contemplating it to find a link and yes i got it!..The Creator sows his seeds in various forms of life.Like how there are humpty number of varities in crops so are his seeds in the form of life.One such crop is human and he reaps it when it reaches the time of harvest which is what is death!.But life is not just sowing and reaping its "ABOUT LIVING LIFE WITH ECSTASY AND JOY".As of today i have experienced joy,ecstacy,and happiness and i am really happy the way i am living. Today it was my turn to dance in front of a dead body tomorrow it ll be someone else dancing in front of my body.Whatever done is sedan done, with this day to be remembered alwaysJ....

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful narration bro, its simply irresistible to not to shake a leg to "death punch"! its only in India, where the last journey, the journey to burial ground is celebrated, i dont know the reason why. somebody help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another superb work Kaushik... nice thought process... keep rocking!! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of this concept before
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. machi enna da !! sema po realistic da keep it up !! really superb !! keep ur work goin on !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my legs are tapping on reading this... fantastic.. keep ur gud work
    kaushik...

    @antonoy - If Iam rite, In India v celebrate it cos it is believed dat the soul would happily leave the body

    ReplyDelete
  6. good work as usual bro....very well written

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this. Being from the US it was a cultural lesson as well as a well written, delightful trip on an afternoon ride. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete